Wawne, also spelled Waghen, is a small village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England; it is first mentioned (as Wagene, from an Old English word for 'quaking bog, quagmire') in 1086. It is situated approximately 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north of Hull city centre and 4 miles (6.4 km) south-east of Beverley, and is on the east bank of the River Hull.
Historically, it was a crossing place across the River Hull, with the Wawne Ferry, a small barge which transported people and cattle across the river.
Nowadays, the village of Wawne is effectively a cul-de-sac, with no through roads to the west. Both Ferry Road and Greens Lane terminate at the River Hull, and there is no crossing to the small village of Thearne on the opposite bank.
The civil parish of Wawne now consists of the village of Wawne and the hamlet of Meaux to the north. According to the 2011 UK census, Wawne parish had a population of 975, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 878. It was also the local ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Holderness.
In the 19th century Wawne was adjacent to the parish of Sutton and Stoneferry. Stoneferry was a small hamlet south of Wawne village which was the site of a ferry, and, after 1905, a bridge. In 1894 Sutton and Stoneferry was abolished with Stoneferry being absorbed into Wawne and Sutton into Kingston upon Hull as Sutton-on-Hull.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.