|Alt names||Christmas Common||source: settlement in parish|
|Greenfield||source: settlement in parish|
|Howe Hill||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England|
|See also||Pyrton Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Henley Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Bullingdon Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Watlington is a market town and civil parish in the South Oxfordshire District of Oxfordshire, England about 7 miles (11 km) south of Thame. The parish includes the hamlets of Christmas Common, Greenfield and Howe Hill, all of which are in the Chiltern Hills. The M40 motorway is about 2 1⁄2 miles (4 km) from Watlington. The 2011 UK census recorded the parish's population as 2,727.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Watlington.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Watlington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WATLINGTON, a small town, a parish, and a [registration] subdistrict, in Henley [registration] district, Oxford. The town stands at the foot of the Chiltern hills, 8 miles NE of Wallingford [railway] station; was known, at Domesday, as Watelintone; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Tetsworth, a good inn, a police station of 1860, a town hall of 1644, a lecture-hall, an ancient church, two dissenting chapels, an endowed school, charities £102, two breweries, and two annual fairs. The parish includes three liberties, and comprises 3,440 acres. Real property: £6,062. Population: 1,938. Houses: 418. The manors belong to T. S. Carter, Esq., and the Rev. W. P. Hutton; and [Watlington] Park is Mr. Carter's seat. A moated castle of 1338 was here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value: £240. Patron: T. S. Carter, Esq.
- "The [registration] sub-district contains 8 parishes and a chapelry. Acres: 20,313. Population: 4,409. Houses: 913."
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Watlington, Oxfordshire, England | Pyrton Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Henley Rural, Oxfordshire, England | Bullingdon Rural, Oxfordshire, England | South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England