Place:Waterford (township), Oakland, Michigan, United States

Watchers


NameWaterford (township)
Alt namesWaterford Township
Waterfordsource: WeRelate abbreviation
TypeTownship
Located inOakland, Michigan, United States
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Waterford Township is a charter township in the center of Oakland County, Michigan. As of the 2012 population estimates by SEMCOG, the township had a population of 72,166 up from the previous census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Lewis Cass, the third governor of Michigan Territory, established the boundaries of Oakland County in 1819. Waterford Township was organized in 1834.

Before being displaced by European settlers in the 18th and early 19th century, the area was populated with Iroquoian and Algonquian tribes of the Hurons, Ottawas, Ojibwas, Potawatomies, Miamis, Sauk, Sashabaws, and others. During the French and Iroquois Wars, the Iroquois expanded westward and maintained a temporary presence in the area, having displaced other tribes. However, by the time white settlers ventured into the area that would become Waterford Village, there were few Native Americans living in the area.

In the latter part of 1818 Oliver Williams and his brother-in-law, Alpheus Williams, entered the first land purchase for $2.00 an acre ($494/km²). Archibald Phillips and Alpheus Williams purchased in what became the village of Waterford.

In 1819, the Oliver Williams family established the first farm settlement in the county on the banks of Silver Lake. Archibald Phillips and Alpheus Williams continued on to where the Clinton River crossed the Saginaw Trail (now known as US-24/Dixie Highway). Here the first house of the village of Waterford was built by Alpheus Williams on the north bank of the river. Archibald Phillips built his home across from the south corner where Andersonville Road meets Dixie Highway. Williams and Phillips also built the first dam where the Clinton River crossed the Saginaw Trail and erected the first sawmill.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Waterford Township, Michigan. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.