Waterford is a town in Saratoga County, New York, USA. The population was 8,515 at the 2000 census. The name of the town is derived from its principal village, also called Waterford. The town and village are in the southeast corner of Saratoga County, and north-northwest of Troy, New York.
The town is part of the Van Schaick land patent of 1687. The first settlement took place at the site of the current Waterford village, then called "Half Moon Point".
The village of Waterford is the oldest incorporated village in the US, having been incorporated in 1794, before the town was formed. Waterford has been host to "Canal Fest" and "Tugboat Roundup" celebrations for many years.
The Catawissa (tugboat), Northside Historic District, Ormsby-Laughlin Textile Companies Mill, Peebles (Peobles) Island, Urger (canal tugboat), and Waterford Village Historic District are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Waterford is home to the largest annual tugboat festival in the Northeast US. Every September, a three-day festival is held in Waterford along the waterfront in the village. Recently, 30,000 visitors attended over the 3-day weekend. Arts, crafts, farmer's market items, games, music, story-telling and of course tugboats are on display. Many historic boats travel through the locks in Waterford, as it is the entrance to the modern New York State Barge Canal system.
The village plans to complete installation of historic-replica streetlamps. In the future, the village may bury electrical power lines to take down the utility poles and improve aesthetics.