Washunga is a small community in Kay County, Oklahoma, USA. Washunga was named for the last chief of the Kaw Indians. His name was usually spelled Washungah. The post office was established November 15, 1902 and discontinued November 25, 1906. The town was established at the former Kaw Agency.
The Kaw Indian Agency is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The name means "bird" in the Kaw language. In the early 1970s the residents of the town were relocated to the present site for the creation of Kaw Lake.