Warwick is a village in Orange County, New York, United States. The 2010 census population was 6,731 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Poughkeepsie–Newburgh–Middletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the larger New York–Newark–Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.
The Village of Warwick is in the southeast part of the Town of Warwick and is immediately north of the state line.
The village was incorporated in 1867. It was originally a major passenger railroad stop, but in the latter half of the 20th century, all passenger traffic has been discontinued and has been replaced entirely by freight. Many of the large colonial houses which were built when the village began have now been converted to bed and breakfasts, with one being turned into a bank and another turned into an antique museum.
During the American War for Independence British General Burgoyne and his army camped on the outskirts of the village after their defeat at the Battle of Saratoga. Also during the American Revolution, Martha Washington stayed at Baird's Tavern, now located on Main street in the village.
Also for the past 20 years, the village holds an annual craft fair and bazaar, aptly named Applefest, due to the abundance of orchards in and around the village. Merchants, craftsmen, food vendors, musicians and a plethora of other assortments from around the region. It attracts over 30,000 people from across the Tri-State Area and from around the country.
One hundred and thirty acres (42 ha) along Routes 94 and 17A in the center of the village are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Warwick Village Historic District. Buildings there range from the oldest in the village, the 1764 Shingle House, to large early 20th-century cottages built by weekend vacationers from New York City.