Place:Warwick, Bucks, Pennsylvania, United States

Watchers


NameWarwick
Alt namesWarwicksource: WeRelate abbreviation
TypeTownship
Located inBucks, Pennsylvania, United States
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Warwick Township is a township in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 14,437 at the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Warwick Township, is in Bucks County, Pennsylvania and is 10 miles north of Northeast Philadelphia. Warwick was formed by petition February 13, 1733 by eighteen residents. It was named after a town in central England and was the home to many Scots-Irish Presbyterians. In 1819 the Township lost over half its territory to the north when Doylestown Township was established. History is closely tied to several existing structures, i.e. the Neshaminy Presbyterian Church and the Moland House. The Neshaminy Presbyterian Church is one of the earliest religious association in Pennsylvania dating back to 1726. The Moland House was General George Washington's headquarters when 11,000 Continental Army troops camped in Warwick Township from August 10, 1777 until August 23, 1777 while on their way to the Battle of Brandywine. The encampment stretched along both sides of Old York Road, on the slope of Carr's hill to the north; both sides of Bristol Road from Mearns Road to Meetinghouse Road. General Washington held a "Council of War" with his four Major Generals and six Brigadier General in the Moland House. While in Warwick Township the American flag that was designed by Betsy Ross was presented to General Washington and Warwick Township was the site where the American flag was first flown. It was here the Marquis de Lafayette and Count Casimir Pulaski joined the American Revolution and distinguished themselves soon at the Battle of Brandywine and for many years thereafter in the fight for American freedom from England.

The Bridge Valley Bridge and Moland House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Warwick Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.