Place:Wartnaby, Leicestershire, England

Alt namesWorcnodebiesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 163
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.8°N 0.933°W
Located inLeicestershire, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoEast Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was included
Rothley, Leicestershire, Englandparish in which it was a chapelry until 1866
Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Ab Kettleby, Leicestershire, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1936
Melton District, Leicestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wartnaby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WARTNABY, a chapelry in Rothley parish, Leicester; 4½ miles NW of Melton-Mowbray [railway] station. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres: 640. Real property: £1,224. Population: 116. Houses: 24. The manor belongs to the trustees of the late Sir J. Parker. W. Hall is the seat of H.Bingham, Esq. The living is annexed to Rothley. The church is good. Charities, £12."

Wartnaby became a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 became part of the Melton Mowbray Rural District. In 1936 it was abolished and the area was transferred to the neighbouring parish of Ab Kettleby.

Local Administration

The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.

In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.

Research Tips

Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.