Warter is a small village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Pocklington on the wikipedia:B1246 roadZB1246 road and 18 miles (29 km) from the city of York.
According to the 2011 UK census, Warter parish had a population of 144, a reduction on the 2001 UK census figure of 159.
It is the location for Warter Priory which was an Augustine Priory dedicated to St James and founded in 1132 by Geoffrey Fitz-Pain. It was dissolved in 1536 by Henry VIII.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.