Place:Gawsworth, Cheshire, England

Alt namesGouesurdesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 53
Danes Mosssource: hamlet in parish
Dighillssource: hamlet in parish
Gawsmoor Hillsource: hamlet in parish
High Lane in Gawsworthsource: hamlet in parish
Moss Housessource: hamlet in parish
Shellowsource: hamlet in parish
Tidnocksource: hamlet in parish
Walkers Heathsource: hamlet in parish
Warrensource: hamlet in parish
Whitemoorsource: hamlet in parish
Woodhouse Endsource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.217°N 2.167°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoMacclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Gawsworth is a civil parish and village in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is one of the eight ancient parishes of Macclesfield Hundred.

The country houses Gawsworth Old Hall, Gawsworth New Hall and Gawsworth Old Rectory are in the village. The authors of the Buildings of England series (which included Nikolaus Pevsner) stated:

"There is nothing in Cheshire to compare with the loveliness of Gawsworth: three great houses and a distinguished church set around a descending string of pools, all within an enigmatic large-scale formal landscape."

A wood near the village known as Maggotty Wood is the burial place of the eighteenth-century dramatist Samuel "Maggotty" Johnson. His ghost is reputed to haunt the wood.

GENUKI provides the following information

Gawsworth became a civil parish in 1866. It lost areas to Macclesfield in 1936 and 1955. The population was 697 in 1801, 788 in 1851, 573 in 1901, 1093 in 1951, and 1673 in 2001.

The parish area was 5,442 acres in 1870 and was bounded by the parishes of Macclesfield on the northeast, Sutton Lane Ends on the east, Bosley and North Rode on the south, Marton (near Congleton) and Siddington on the west and Henbury cum Pexall on the northwest.

It includes the hamlets of Danes Moss, Dighills, Gawsmoor Hill, High Lane, Moss Houses, Shellow, Tidnock, Walkers Heath, Warren, Whitemoor and Woodhouse End.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Gawsworth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.