The Nene Way footpath runs through it and is well signposted. It is 2½ miles east of the town of Oundle near the Cambridgeshire border and is 10 miles south west of the city of Peterborough. It has a large 13th-century church,and fine watermill, manor house and dovecote. Most of the houses, however, were built in the 1960s and 1970s. A large estate of private homes has been added since the turn of the millennium increasing the size of the village by around 30%. Warmington is a working, functional village with some impressive old stone buildings which are considered very attractive.
Warmington has a small primary school that in 1980 had around 25 pupils in total but has since grown considerably over the years. There is a post office and general store, butcher, public phone and public house, The Red Lion which is the site of the annual fireworks party for villagers and visitors and a village hall which hosts social events, groups and clubs for all ages. The nearest junior and secondary schools are in Oundle.
The oldest part of Warmington village is thought to be an area named Eaglethorpe, a small hamlet adjacent to the River Nene. A 1500 year old skeleton was found during an archeological dig in Eaglethorpe during the completion of the A605 bypass in 2002.
Warmington has an old water mill which functioned until the late 19th century, which has been restored and now functions as a retail showroom. Residents and visitors may walk from Warmington across the flood plains to Fotheringhay, a historic medieval village where Mary, Queen of Scots, was executed in 1587 on the Fotheringhay castle site.
There was a village police constable in a designated police house up until the late 1980s. Crime has been, and remains, very low. Patrols are now made intermittently via Oundle constabulary who provide a PCSO (Police Community Support Officer) and local residents are advised by their local Neighbourhood Watch members.
The village can be accessed by single carriageway main road or winding country lanes leading from villages such as Morborne and Ashton via the steep 'Cooke's Hill named after the farmers there in the 1960s and previously known as Broadgate Hill.
The farmers fields that encircle the village and give its rural feel, are now mostly owned by the Proby family in nearby Elton village - who are based at Elton Hall.As little ago as the 1960s there were as many as 6 local farmers resident in the village employing villagers including John and David Simpson, Don Cooke, and Messrs.Kirby, Northern and Horsefield.