- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Warleggan (Cornish: Gorlegan) is a civil parish on the southern edge of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, England.
The parish is roughly oblong in shape with hamlets near the church and at Mount. The River Warleggan, a tributary of the River Fowey, runs through the parish, forming its western boundary in places. The population in was 203 in the 2001 UK census.
Warleggan was part of the Bodmin Rural District which was abolished in 1934. In that year it was transferred to Liskeard Rural District where it remained until 1974.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Warleggan from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WARLEGGON, a parish in Bodmin district, Cornwall; 3 miles N by W of Doublebois [railway] station, and 5½ ENE of Bodmin. Post town, Bodmin. Acres: 2,055. Real property: £1,453; of which £50 are in mines. Population: 295. Houses: 64. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £125. Patron, G. W. F. Gregor, Esq. The church is good."
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | West Hundred, Cornwall, England | Bodmin Rural, Cornwall, England | Liskeard Rural, Cornwall, England | Warleggan, Cornwall, England | Bodmin Registration District, Cornwall, England