Place:Warkworth, Northamptonshire, England

TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.0597°N 1.2895°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoMiddleton Cheney Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Brackley Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
South Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Warkworth is a village and civil parish in the South Northamptonshire District in Northamptonshire, England, about 2 miles (3 km) east of Banbury in Oxfordshire and 1 mile (1.6 km) southeast of junction 11 of the M40 motorway.

The 2001 UK Census recorded the parish's population as 31. This is remarkably lower than the figures given by Wilson's Gazetteer in the mid 19th century. (See below.) Wilson reports four hamlets. These are not identified.

An open field system of farming prevailed in Warkworth until the 18th century. Its land tenure was linked with that of Overthorpe, which at that time was part of Middleton Cheney parish. Parliament passed a single Inclosure Act for both Overthorpe and Warkworth in 1764.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Warkworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WARKWORTH, a parish, with a village and four hamlets, in the [registration] district of Banbury and county of Northampton; 1½ mile E of Banbury [railway] station. It has a postal wall-box under Banbury. Acres: 2,370. Real property: £7,047; of which, £500 are in gasworks. Population in 1851: 559; in 1861: 1,111. Houses: 242. The increase of pop. was chiefly in Grimsbury, suburban to Banbury; and arose from building operations by a Freehold Land Society. [Warkworth] manor belongs to J. Smith, Esq.; and Grimsbury manor to the Earl of Ellesmere. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to Marston. The church is decorated English. There are a private chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and handsome schools."

Grimsbury is in Oxfordshire and is now part of Banbury.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Warkworth, Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.