Place:Wark on Tyne, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameWark on Tyne
Alt namesWarksource: local name
TypeChapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55°N 2.267°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoTynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wark on Tyne is a small village and civil parish usually called Wark in Northumberland, England about 12 miles (19 km) north of Hexham. The name is derived from the Viking word for "earthworks", and refers to the mound at the south of the village, where a meeting hall once stood. The hotel name "Battlesteads" is taken from the stables that once stood there, as the meeting hall was used as the main meeting place for the clan chieftains. Wark was also once the capital town of Tynedale Ward, and still retains a Town Hall, rather than a Village Hall. The population, according to the UK census of 2011, was 741.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wark on Tyne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WARK, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bellingham [registration] district, Northumberland. The village stands on the North Tyne river, near the Border Counties railway, 4¼ miles SSE of Bellingham; and has a post-office under Hexham, and a [railway] station. The township comprises 3,160 acres. Population: 546. Houses: 132.
"The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 22,986 acres. Real property: £7,891. Population: 899. Houses: 197. The property is much subdivided. A seat of the Ratcliffes was at Mote Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £340. Patron: Greenwich Hospital [London]. The church was built in 1818. There are an English Presbyterian chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and a charity of £200 a year partly expended on the school."

Wark on Tyne was originally a chapelry in Simonburn ancient parish in the Tynedale Ward of Northumberland. In 1811 it became a separate ancient parish with three townships: Low Shitlington, High Shitlington and Warksburn. It remains as a civil parish.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wark On Tyne. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.