Place:Wanlockhead, Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Watchers
NameWanlockhead
TypeVillage
Coordinates55.3961°N 3.7809°W
Located inDumfriesshire, Scotland     ( - 1975)
See alsoSanquhar, Dumfriesshire, Scotlandparish in which Wanlockhead was located until 1975
Dumfries and Galloway Region, Scotlandregional administration 1975-1996
Dumfries and Galloway, Scotlandunitary Council Area since 1996
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Wanlockhead is a village in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland nestling in the Lowther Hills one mile south of Leadhills at the head of the Mennock Pass, which forms part of the Southern Uplands. It is Scotland's highest village at and can be accessed via the B797, from both the A76 and the M74.

Further, from Scottish Places

"An isolated village in the Lowther Hills of north Dumfries and Galloway, Wanlockhead lies on the Wanlock Water, nearly 2 miles (3 km) southwest of Leadhills. Formerly a lead-mining village, it is situated at 467m (1531 feet) above sea-level and is Britain's highest village. A trail through the village from Wanlockhead Museum follows the route of a former narrow gauge railway to the Loch Nell Mine which was first opened in 1710 when the Quaker Company leased the mine and rebuilt the village. Wanlockhead was rebuilt again after 1842 when the Dukes of Queensberry took a direct interest in the running of the mines and the welfare of the miners. A water-powered beam engine used to pump water out of the Straitsteps Mine is the only one of its kind in Britain to have survived virtually intact."

Research Tips

Refer to the parish of Sanquhar

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wanlockhead. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.