Walton-on-the-Naze is a small town in Essex, England, on the North Sea coast in the Tendring district. It is north of Clacton-on-Sea and south of the port of Harwich. It abuts Frinton-on-Sea to the south, and is part of the parish of Frinton and Walton. Frinton and Walton was formerly an urban district which was in existence from 1934 until 1974.
It is a resort town, with a permanent population of about 6,000. It attracts many visitors, The Naze being the main attraction. There is also a pier.
The parish was earlier known as Walton-le-Soken. The name 'Walton' is a common one meaning a 'farmstead or village of the Britons', while 'Soken' denotes the soke (an area of special jurisdiction) that included Thorpe-le-Soken, Kirby-le-Soken and Walton-le-Soken.
The parish was an urban district from 1894 until 1934, when it joined with Frinton-on-Sea to create the combined urban district of Frinton and Walton. Since 1974 it has been located in the Tendring District of Essex.