Walton, originally known as Walton-on-the-Hill, in Liverpool, Merseyside, England, is an area situated to the north of Anfield and the east of Bootle and Orrell Park. Historically in Lancashire, it is largely residential, with a diverse population.
Liverpool Walton has been a parliamentary constituency since 1885.
Walton-on-the-Hill was one of the ancient parishes of Lancashire.
The town name 'Walton', may have been derived from the same origins as the country name 'Wales'. The Saxons called the earlier inhabitants of Briton (the Celtic Britons) the 'Walas' or 'Wealas'. Thus, Walton may have once been called 'Walas' town. Whatever the origins of the name, Walton is one of the oldest areas of settlement in Merseyside.
The name Walton comes from settlement/farmstead of Wealas - native Celts which is what the new Anglo Saxon speaking peoples called the native inhabitants of England. There is strong evidence that in many areas of England taken over by Germanic speaking settlers, the native British (Wealas) remained undisturbed, farming the same land they did when the Romans left. Over time they just adopted or forgot their Celtic tongue (similar to Old Welsh/Cornish) for the language and culture of the newcomers in order to climb the social ladder or were coerced to do so. It was in the Anglo Saxon interest that the native British carry on as usual to ensure the economy produced food and goods for the new landowners.
However there is no actual evidence all the people in England actually spoke a Celtic language and there is evidence that a Germanic tongue was already spoken and the Anglo-Saxons helped an already Germanic speaking native population with security etc., including local proto-English landlords. Placenames in the Roman period show just as much Germanic influence as Celtic. Also there is no evidence Walton means simply Briton, as it also means foreigner or stranger and could simply refer to new Anglo-Saxon settlers or a stranger who acquired the actual ownership from outside. There's no evidence of such as people as the Celts and it certainly wasn't a name used in Britain and Ireland.
Walton's recorded history appears to have started with the death of Edward the Confessor, when it was said that "Winestan held the manor of WALTON". After the conquest of the Normans, it is thought that Roger of Poitou included Walton in the lands he gave to his sheriff, Godfrey.
In 1200, the founder of Liverpool, King John of England gave the town of Walton to Richard de Meath, who left Walton to his brother, Henry de Walton. Henry's son William inherited the lands of Walton, but William died before his son Richard was of age, so Richard was made a ward of Nicholas de la Hose by the Earl of Derby and the estate was managed by nobles outside the family for a time.
Walton was then held by the 'de Walton' family until Roger de Walton's death in the 15th century, when it was split through marriage between the Crosse, Chorley and Fazakerley families. Walton Manor later passed through the Breres and Atherton families and it was sold in 1804 to Liverpool banker Thomas Leyland. Some of the Walton land also passed down to the Earl of Derby (see earlier connection) and the Sefton family.
Subsequent to that, Walton later lost its independence in 1895 when it was made part of Liverpool Borough Council.