Place:Waltham, Kent, England

Watchers
NameWaltham
Alt namesHandwell Greensource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.198°N 1.017°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoStowting Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Bridge Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1934
Bridge Blean Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1934-1974
Canterbury District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Waltham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WALTHAM, a parish, with [Waltham] village and Handwell Green hamlet, in Bridge [registration] district, Kent; 4 miles E by N of Wye [railway] station, and 7 SSW of Canterbury. Post town: Canterbury. Acres: 3,215. Real property: £3,174. Population: 608. Houses: 118. The manor belonged once to the Knights Templar. Wadden Hall, North Lye, and Thorn are chief places [manors}. The living is a vicarage, united with Petham, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £535. Patron: alternately the Archbishop of [Canterbury?] and Sir [?] Honeywood, Bart. The church is early English and good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school."

Wikipedia states, "Waltham is a village and civil parish 7 miles (11 km) southwest of Canterbury in Kent, England." Waltham was originally an ancient parish in the Stowting Hundred. Between 1894 and 1934 it was part of the Bridge Rural District and between 1934 and 1974 part of the Bridge Blean Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan City of Canterbury District.


Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also