|Alt names||Great Chesters||source: alternate name of parish|
|Wall Town||source: spelling variation|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Haltwhistle, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Haltwhistle Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Haltwhistle, Northumberland, England||parish into which it is presumed to have been absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Walltown from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WALLTOWN, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland; on the Roman wall, 2 miles NNW of Haltwhistle. It contains the Roman station Æsiea, now called Great Chesters, contains also the residence of Bishop Ridley's brother, now a farmhouse. Acres: 2,956. Population: 68. Houses: 14."
Walltown was a township in the ancient parish of Haltwhistle and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was part of Haltwhistle Rural District. Walltown ceased to be a civil parish in 1955, but its destination has not been given in A Vision of Britain through Time. It is assumed it was absorbed back into Haltwhistle since it is located on the northwestern border of the large parish. However, in Google Earth, Great Chesters is classified under Greenhead; i.e. Greenhead is its current postal town.
Milecastle 45 (Walltown) was a milecastle on Hadrian's Wall. Milecastle 45 is located on the top of Walltown Crags. The walls have been comprehensively robbed, and little remains but the robber trenches and turf-covered spoil mounds. The site is clearly visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. Each milecastle on Hadrian's Wall had two associated turret structures. These turrets were positioned approximately one-third and two-thirds of a Roman mile to the west of the Milecastle, and would probably have been manned by part of the milecastle's garrison. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.