Place:Wallsend, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameWallsend
Alt namesSegedunumsource: Encyclopedia Britannica Online (1994-2001) accessed 03/09/2001
TypeBorough (municipal)
Coordinates55°N 1.517°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     (100 - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoNorth Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough it joined in 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Wallsend, historically Wallsend on Tyne, is an area in North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, North East of England. Wallsend derives its name as the location of the end of Hadrian's Wall. It has a population of 42,842 and lies 3.5 miles east of Newcastle City Centre.

Prior to the formation of Tyne and Wear, Wallsend was located in Northumberland.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wallsend from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WALLSEND, a township and a parish in Tynemouth district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Tyne and on the Newcastle and Tynemonth railway, at the E end of the Roman wall, 3½ miles ENE of Newcastle; took its name from its position at the end of the wall; contained the Roman Segedunum, where Roman pottery, inscriptions, coins, an altar to Jupiter, and other Roman relics have been found; became noted, in last century, for coal-workings of prime quality, which yielded an average profit of £20,000 annually for twenty years, but became unprofitable and were abandoned in 1853; contains a village of its own name; and has a post-office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne, a [railway] station, a church of 1809, [United] Presbyterian and Methodist chapels, a free school, two blast furnaces, forge-works, lead and copper smelting-works, and two chemical manufactories. Population in 1851: 2,161; in 1861: 2,371. Houses: 501.
"The parish includes two other townships; forms a sub-district; and comprises 2,579 acres of land and 208 of water. Real property: £17,335; of which £600 are in ironworks. Population in 1851: 5,721; in 1861: 6,715. Houses: 1,079. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of [Durham]. The [perpetual] curacies of Willington and Howdon-Pans are separate benefices."
Image:Northumberland se corner 1935-1974.png

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wallsend. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.