Place:Wallington Demesne, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameWallington Demesne
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.154°N 1.957°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoHartburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Cambo, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
Corridge, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
Deanham, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
Hartburn Grange, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
Highlaws, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
North Middleton (near Morpeth), Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
South Middleton (near Morpeth), Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
Todridge, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Wallington Demesne in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wallington Demesne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WALLINGTON-DEMESNE, a township in Hartburn parish, Northumberland; 12 miles W of Morpeth. Acres: 1,781. Population: 210. Houses: 44. [Wallington] Hall is the seat of Sir W. Trevelyan, Bart."

Wallington Demesne was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hartburn, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, and remains a civil parish. In 1955 it absorbed the nearby parishes of Cambo, Corridge, Deanham, Hartburn Grange, Highlaws, North Middleton, South Middleton, and Todridge.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.