Place:Wall, Northumberland, England

Alt namesHeavenfieldsource: area in parish
St. Oswald in Leesource: ancient settlement in Wall
Lee St. Oswaldsource: name variation
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.014°N 2.135°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoLee St. John, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Cocklaw, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Fallowfield, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Tynedale District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wall is a village in Northumberland, England situated to the north of Hexham close by the River North Tyne and Hadrian's Wall. The Battle of Heavenfield was fought nearby.

Wall was served by Wall railway station on the Border Counties Railway which linked the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, near Hexham, with the Border Union Railway at Riccarton Junction. The first section of the route was opened between Hexham and Chollerford in 1858, the remainder opening in 1862. The line was closed to passengers by British Railways in 1956.

Wall was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. It became a separate civil parish in 1866 From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 its area was greatly increased when it absorbed the neighbouring civil parishes of Fallowfield and Cocklaw. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Wall became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.