Place:Walkingham Hill with Ockany, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameWalkingham Hill with Ockany
Alt namesWalkingham-Hill-with-Ockanysource: Family History Library Catalog
Walkingham Hill with Ockenysource: GENUKI
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates54.0519°N 1.4714°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoKnaresborough Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1938
Nidderdale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1938-1974
Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Walkingham Hill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WALKINGHAM-HILL-WITH-OCKANEY, an extra-parochial tract in Knaresborough district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; 4 miles NW of Knaresborough. Acres: 422. Population: 28. Houses: 4."

Historically, Walkingham Hill with Ockany was extraparochial area of the Lower division of Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Walkingham Hill with Ockany was located in Knaresborough Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.

The page, Knaresborough Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI on Walkingham Hill with Ockany. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
  • The FamilySearch wiki on the extraparochial liberty of Walkingham Hill with Ockany provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time on Walkingham Hill with Ockany.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
  • Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
  • Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
  • Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.