It is located next to the N393 (road), east of Sint Annaparochie, in 2004 there were 620 inhabitants
Vrouwenparochie is founded in the 16th century, in 1505 after the Oudebildtdijk was constructed, and new land was created. It was the easternmost of the three villages that were built at that time and was initially called Kijfhoek, to the settlement Kijfhoek in South Holland. Later, these names of the villages were changed to the names of the 'parochies' who stood in the villages themselves. Thus Kijfhoek renamed Vrouwenparochie, to 'onze vrouwe'. Nearby Vrouwbuurtstermolen on the eastern part of the village, stood a windmill, in the course of time the small 'buurtschap' Vrouwbuurtstermolen arise. Also Oudebildtzijl, parts of Nieuwe and Oude Bildtzijl and Oude Leije were originally counted as the outskirts of Vrouwenparochie.