Vienna is a city in Wood County, West Virginia, along the Ohio River. It is next to Parkersburg. The population was 10,749 at the 2010 census. It is the third largest city by population in the Parkersburg-Vienna-Marietta metropolitan area.
In 1794, Dr. Joseph Spencer gave the city its name after Vienna, New Jersey, where he had participated in a Revolutionary War battle. It began as a 5,000 acre settlement, a grant to Dr. Spencer for his services during the war. Charles R. Blair, was Vienna’s first mayor after it was incorporated in 1935. Vienna was known for Vitrolite production until the 1940s.