Place:Usworth, Durham, England

Alt namesGreat Usworthsource: settlement in parish
Little Usworthsource: settlement in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.897°N 1.517°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoWashington, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Chester le Street Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1922
Washington, Durham, Englandurban district into which it was gradually absorbed from 1922
City of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Usworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"USWORTH, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Washington parish, Durham; adjacent to the North-eastern railway, 4 miles SE of Gateshead. It has a post office under Gateshead, and a [railway] station. Acres: 2,548. Real property: £13,711; of which £7,225 are in mines, £109 in quarries, and £20 in the railway. Population in 1851: 2,051; in 1861: 3,677. Houses: 691. The increase of population arose chiefly from extension of collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £161. Patron: the Rector of Washington. The church was built in 1832. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £30 a year."

Usworth was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Washington, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Chester le Street Rural District. In 1922 it was transferred to Washington Urban District and in 1937 it was abolished and absorbed into Washington civil parish. Since 1974 it has been part of the City of Sunderland metropolitan borough in Tyne and Wear.

Research Tips