The civil parish of Upton and Signet was absorbed into Burford in 1954 to create the civil parish of "Burford and Upton and Signet". Upton and Signet had a population of 437 in the 1951 census, the last before the parish was absorbed.
Upton (near Burford) is a hamlet on the River Windrush about 1 mile (1.6 km) west of Burford and Signet is a hamlet on the A361 road just over 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Burford. The area has been since 1974 part of the West Oxfordshire District of Oxfordshire, England.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following descriptions of Upton and Signet from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: