|Name||Upton (near Macclesfield)|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1936)|
|See also||Prestbury, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Macclesfield, Cheshire, England||municipal borough which absorbed part of the parish in 1936|
|Prestbury, Cheshire, England||municipal borough which absorbed a small part of the parish in 1936|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- GENUKI provides the following information
Upton (near Macclesfield) was a township in Prestbury ancient parish in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. it was located to the north of Macclesfield between Fallibroome and Tytherington parishes. The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become parts of Macclesfield and Prestbury. Macclesfield took by far the larger proportion.
The population was 56 in 1801, 111 in 1851, and 224 in 1901.
[Co-ordinates estimated from Google Earth.]
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Upton (near Macclesfield), Cheshire, England | Prestbury, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England