|Alt names||Optone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 54|
|Type||Township, Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
|Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Upton-by-Chester is a civil parish and a large suburb on the outskirts of Chester, in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It includes the villages of Upton and Upton Heath. At the 2001 Census the population was recorded as 7,800.
Upton was prior to 1866 a township in Broxton Hundred (part located in the parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill). The population was 173 in 1801, 555 in 1851, 1,769 in 1901 and 6,343 in 1951.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England | Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, Cheshire, England | Upton-by-Chester, Cheshire, England