NOTE: Upton-by-Birkenhead should not be confused with Upton-by-Chester which also has a neighbouring settlement named Overchurch.
Upton-by-Birkenhead was a township in Overchurch ancient parish, in the Wirral hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Upton and Overchurch. The population was 141 in 1801, 227 in 1851, 788 in 1901, and 2564 in 1931. The area was 943 acres.
Upton was the primary economic centre of northern Wirral until the industrial development of Birkenhead during the mid-19th century. Five important local roads converged on the village, and its main thoroughfare was the place of a weekly market. (source:Wikipedia)
It was part of the Wirral Rural District from 1894 until 1933. In 1933 Wirral Rural District was abolished and Upton by Birkenhead was split between Birkenhead and Wallasey (which received less than 10 percent of the total area).
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
Upton is now considered to be in the Overchurch Ward of the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Upton, Merseyside.