|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Great Ouseburn Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1938|
|Nidderdale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1938-1974|
|Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England||district municipality of which it was a part 1974-1996|
|York, Yorkshire, England||unitary authority of which it became a part in 1996|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Upper Poppleton is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of the City of York in North Yorkshire, England. It is situated by the West bank of the River Ouse adjacent to Nether Poppleton, and west of York close to the A59 from York to Harrogate. The village is served by Poppleton railway station on the Harrogate line. According to the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 1,961. Before 1996, it was part of the Borough of Harrogate.
The name is derived from popel (pebble) and tun (hamlet, farm) and means "Pebble Farm" because of the gravel bed upon which the village was built. Upper Poppleton has been referred to as "Land Poppleton" and the neighbouring village of Nether Poppleton as "Water Poppleton" indicating their position relative to the river.
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles. It became a Conservation Area in 1993.
Historically, Upper Poppleton was in the ecclesiastical parishes of Nether Poppleton and York St Mary Bishophill the Younger in Ainsty Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Upper Poppleton was located in Great Ouseburn Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. From 1974 until 1996 the area was part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire. In 1996 the City of York became a unitary authority and absorbed a number of civil parishes east of its former boundary, including Upper and Nether Poppleton.
The page, Great Ouseburn Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.
- GENUKI on Upper Poppleton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of York St Mary Bishophill the Younger provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Upper Poppleton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England | Nidderdale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | York, Yorkshire, England | Ainsty Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England