- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Upper Dunsforth-cum-Branton Green from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DUNSFORTH (Upper),-cum-Branton-Green, a township in Aldbrough and Great Ouseburn parishes, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; 1 mile S of Lower Dunsforth. Acres: 900. Population of the Aldborough portion: 95; of the Great Ouseburn portion: 56. Houses: 21 and 15."
Historically, Upper Dunsforth-cum-Branton Green was in the ecclesiastical parish of Aldborough in the Upper division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Upper Dunsforth-cum-Branton Green was located in Great Ouseburn Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
There is no entry for the civil parish in Wikipedia. There is a reference in an index of civil parishes in North Yorkshire for "Dunsforths", but there is no entry. Upper Dunsforth and Lower Dunsforth may have become one civil parish since they were absorbed into Harrogate District in 1974.
The page, Great Ouseburn Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.
- GENUKI on both Upper Dunsforth and Branton Green. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Aldborough provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Upper Dunsforth-cum-Branton Green.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.