|Alt names||Cerce||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 150|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Milton Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Milton Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Swale Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Swale District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Upchurch village is situated at the junction of numerous minor roads in the Swale District of Kent, England. The village is the main settlement within a civil parish of the same name near the western border Swale Borough Council, and the village centre is about 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the boundary with the unitary authority of Medway. The population of the civil parish, according to the UK census of 2011, was 2,484.
Upchurch was originally an ancient parish in the Milton Hundred. Between 1894 and 1935 it was part of the Milton Rural District. In 1935 Milton Rural District was abolished and the area was transferred to Swale Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Swale District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Upchurch, Kent, England | Milton Hundred, Kent, England | Milton Rural, Kent, England | Swale Rural, Kent, England | Swale District, Kent, England