- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Upholland is a civil parish and village in Lancashire, England, approximately 3 miles east of Skelmersdale and 4 miles west of Wigan. Between 1894 and 1968 it was an urban district. In 1968 the urban district merged with that of the neighbouring civil parish of Skelmersdale to become Skelmersdale and Upholland Urban District. This merger only last 6 years. In the nationwide reorganization of municipalities of 1974 the new urban district was transferred into the West Lancashire District, a district municipality covering a much wider area.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Upholland from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "UPHOLLAND, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile NNW of Orrell [railway] station and 4 W of Wigan; and has a post-office under Wigan, and a cattle and horse fair on Easter Monday. The township contains also three hamlets, and comprises 4,452 acres. Real property: £16,912; of which £5,500 are in mines. Population in 1851: 3,359; in 1861: 3,463. Houses: 685. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Skelmersdale. Holland Grove is the seat of G. Bolderstone, Esq. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in 1319, by Sir R. de Holland; and has left some remains. Stone and slate are quarried, and fire bricks are made.
- "The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Population: 6,091. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron: the Rector of Wigan. The church was the chapel of the priory. A school at Pimbo-Lane is used as a chapel of ease. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school, two national schools, and charities £110.
- "The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres: 9,220. Population: 6,982. Houses: 1,360."
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Upholland.