|Type||Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England (1887 - )|
|See also||Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Shurdington, Gloucestershire, England||parish in which it was a hamlet until 1887|
|Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Cheltenham (district), Gloucestershire, England||borough into which it was absorbed in 1991|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Up Hatherley is a civil parish and a suburb of the spa town of Cheltenham in Gloucestershire, England. Formerly a hamlet in the parish of Shurdington, it became a parish in 1887 and became a part of Cheltenham in 1991.
The parish was formed from a small settlement of scattered farms in 1887 and remained little changed until 1945. Along with Swindon Village, Leckhampton and Prestbury, the parish was added to the borough of Cheltenham in 1991. At this time part of the parish was transferred back to the parish of Shurdington.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Shurdington, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham (district), Gloucestershire, England | Up Hatherley, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England