Udora is a "compact rural community" on the border between Scott Township in Ontario County and Georgina Township in York County. In 1970s both Ontario County and York County went through a major municipal reorganization. Scott Township merged with its neighbouring township to the south to become Uxbridge Township within Durham Region, and York County split in half with the northern half (which contained Georgina Township) becoming York Region.
Udora is a small rural community in Ontario, Canada. It has a population estimated to be around 500 and is situated in the most south-eastern part of Georgina, split between York Region and Durham Region. The town was originally known as Snoddon Corners and was the location of the Snoddon Hotel.
In the 1950s, the Independent Toronto Estonian Women’s Association purchased land in the north-west side of Udora, divided the land into 150 subdivided lots for summer cottages to Estonians in Toronto and named the grounds Jõekääru, which means River Bend in English, named because Pefferlaw River runs through the grounds. Local street names in the grounds are also in the native Estonian. With the cottages also came the Estonian Children's Camp, which is still active to date as an Estonian language immersion camp for part of the summer.
Highway 48 (which links Markham to Port Bolster) lies to the north while Highway 12 linking to Whitby and Orillia, lies to the east. Within Udora Ravenshoe Road intersects with Victoria Road/Concession Road 7/Durham Road 1. Area code 705 is bounded to the north while the south of Udora is in Area code 905. The Canadian National Railway runs north of Udora, having its nearest train station in Pefferlaw.
Udora is located about 10 km South of Port Bolster, at Lake Simcoe. About 20 km S/E of Sutton, about 25 to 30 km SW of Beaverton and Orillia, west of Lindsay, north of Uxbridge, about 50 km north of Whitby, about 80 km north of Toronto and NE of Newmarket, Ontario.
In the centre of Udora (or downtown) on the main road (Victoria), there is a General Store doubling as a functioning post office . There is also a UPI full serve gas station and convenience store.
West of Victoria lies The Udora Community Hall, opened in 1974, along with a baseball diamond, playground and basketball / tennis (badminton) court. It serves as the fair grounds to "Udora Family Fun Day". In the winter, the court also hosts a small skate rink for kids.
The primary source for basic documents (vital statistics, land records, wills) for people who lived in the Province of Ontario is the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2C5.
Civil registration did not begin in the province until 1869. Before then there may be church records of baptisms and burials. For the most part these are still held by the denomination who recorded them. Copies of marriage records made pre-1869 had to be sent by individual clergymen to the registrar of the county in which the marriage took place. These marriage records are available through Ontario Archives, on micorfilm through LDS libraries, and on paid and unpaid websites, but because they were copied at the registrars' offices, they cannot be considered a primary source.
Vital Records after 1869
Birth, marriage and death registrations are not open to the public until a specific number of years after the event occurred. Births to 1915 are now available [October 2014]; dates for marriages and deaths are later. Birth and death registration was not universally carried out in the early years after its adoption. Deaths were more apt to be reported than births for several years. The more rural the area, the less likely it would be that these happenings were reported to the authorities.
Land Records and Wills
Information on how to access land records and wills is best sought on the Archives of Ontario website. An ancestor's land holding might be found on Canadian County Atlas Digital Project if he was in occupancy circa 1878.
Association for the Preservation of Ontario Land Registry Office Documents (APOLROD). A list of Land Registry Offices for all Counties of Ontario.
The original censuses are in the hands of Library and Archives Canada, known to Canadians as "LAC". Copies of original microfilms are online at the LAC website for all censuses up to 1911. Each census database is preceded with an explanation of the geographical area covered, the amount of material retained (some census division material has been lost), the questions on the census form, and whether there is a name index. Census divisions were redrawn as the population increased and more land was inhabited. The 1921 census is only available through Ancestry.ca, but it is free-to-view.
E-books and Books
Some websites with more local information on Ontario County