Place:Tysoe, Warwickshire, England

Coordinates52.08°N 1.5°W
Located inWarwickshire, England
See alsoBrailes Rural, Warwickshire, Englandrural district in which it was located until 1931
Shipston-on-Stour Rural, Warwickshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1931-1974
Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been located since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Tysoe is a civil parish located in Warwickshire, England, north-west of Banbury. The three main settlements in the parish, Upper, Middle and Lower Tysoe are on a hill, hence the respective village names. Upper and Middle Tysoe have now merged, whereas Lower Tysoe is still separate, a little further north. The estimated population of the parish is 1,050, based on the 2001 UK Census.

The parish church is dedicated to St Mary and dates back to the 11th century. All three of the villages contain several 17th century buildings, especially Middle Tysoe which was once the main village of the parish. The local village primary school was opened in 1859 and has been extended in the 1980s and 2005. Compton Wynyates country house is just one kilometre south of the village. Joseph Ashby, the agricultural trade unionist, was born in the village in 1859; his biography was written by his daughter Kathleen Ashby, teacher and historian.

The parish once contained a hill figure, the Red Horse of Tysoe, which was recorded as early as 1607 but which is now lost.

Tysoe Parish & Community website can be found at:

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Tysoe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.