Tydd St Mary is a village and civil parish in the South Holland District of Lincolnshire, England, about 9 miles (14 km) east of the town of Spalding and about 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. The civil parish includes the hamlet of Tydd Gote which, geographically, lies partly in Tydd St Mary and partly in Tydd St. Giles, Cambridgeshire.
The parish church is a Grade I listed building dedicated to Saint Mary dating from the 12th century and restored 1869. It has a 15th-century west tower and a 15th-century font. At the entrance to the churchyard is a Grade II listed lychgate dating from 1919. In the churchyard is a fragment of a medieval cross dating from the 14th century.
Tysdale House is an early 16th-century Grade II listed Hall with later alterations. The building was originally H-Shape with an open hall, which was floored in the 17th century. The plan was changed in the 18th century.
The present Dunton Hall was built on the site of an earlier house, built by Sigismund Trafford who died in 1741. The present Dunton Hall dates from the early 19th century and is Grade II listed.
Tydd Station was a railway station on the Peterborough and Sutton Bridge Branch of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, which opened in 1866 and closed in 1959.
During the First World War an airfield was established here, during late 1916 or early 1917, as a Home Defence airfield for night patrols. It was used by 51 Squadron whose headquarters were at Marham B Flight, established at Tydd St Mary in the summer of 1917.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.