- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Twyning is a village and civil parish on the River Avon in the north of Gloucestershire, England, near the town of Tewkesbury. The name derives from the Old English for "between the rivers". Despite its spelling, it is pronounced "twinning". The parish forms a land 'isthmus' into the county of Worcestershire. It has a population of over 1600.
The village is divided into two main parts, the older "Churchend", and "Twyning Green". In addition, within the parish are the hamlets of Shuthonger, Woodend, Hillend and Stratford Bridge. (all redirected here).
The older part of the village, Churchend, contains the village church which is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene.
It is thought that the Twining surname is descended from, or at least connected to, the name of the village. A 15th century Abbot at Winchcombe Abbey, which is also in Gloucestershire, was called John Twining.
The tea merchants, Twinings, are also thought to originate in Twyning. A branch of the family removed themselves to Painswick in the early Middle Ages and worked in the wool trade. In the 17th century Thomas Twining moved to London during a period of economic depression and began his tea business.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Twyning, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England