NOTE: There are 5 other places in England with the name Twyford. They can be confused, especially in families who move about over the generations.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Twyford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Twyford in Leicestershire, England was an ancient parish and a civil parish until 1936. It was located south of Melton Mowbray. The parish covers just over 1,200 acres, most of which was pasture for sheep and cattle. (Source:GENUKI)
The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.
In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.
Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.