Place:Twizell (near Norham), Northumberland, England

NameTwizell (near Norham)
Alt namesTwizelsource: from redirect
Tilmouthsource: settlement in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.683°N 2.188°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     (1844 - 1955)
Also located inDurham, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoNorhamshire, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Norham and Islandshires Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Norham, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There are two places named Twizell in Northumberland, England. The other is named Twizell in Morpeth and is much further south in what was the Castle Ward and the Castle Ward Rural District. It is now part of the civil parish of Whalton.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Twizell (near Norham) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"TWIZEL, a township, with a [railway] station, in Norham parish, Northumberland; on the Tweedmouth and Kelso railway, at the mouth of the river Till, 3 miles NNE of Cornhill. Acres: 2,190. Population: 305. Houses: 56. [Twizell] Bridge, over the Till, figures graphically in Sir Walter Scott's "Marmion," in his description of the advance of the English army to Flodden. [Twizell] Castle was built in 1770-1810, but was never finished; and is now a vast ruin, with a frontage of 240 feet."

Twizell (near Norham) was a township in the ancient district of Norhamshire in Northumberland and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Norham.

Wikipedia has an article on Twizell Castle.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.