Turton was a township in the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Bolton-le-Moors in the Salford hundred of Lancashire, Later it became a civil parish and eventually an urban district in Lancashire, England.
Cotton mills, printworks, bleachworks, an iron foundry, and a paper mill were important industries in Turton after the Industrial Revolution.
In 1837 Turton joined with other townships or civil parishes in the area to form the Bolton Poor Law Union and took joint responsibility for the administration and funding of the Poor Law in that area. There was a workhouse at Goose Cote Farm in Turton. In 1873 a local board of health was established for the Turton township area. In 1894 Turton became an Urban District of the administrative county of Lancashire. Then in 1898 the civil parishes of Belmont, Bradshaw, Harwood, Longworth, Entwistle, Edgworth and Quarlton were added to the urban district.
Under the Local Government Act 1972, Turton Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1974 and was divided in two. The larger rural area, North Turton, became a civil parish of the Borough of Blackburn. The smaller urban area, South Turton, became an unparished area of the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton in Greater Manchester, England.