Tully is a town in Onondaga County, New York, USA. The population of the town was 2,738 at the 2010 census. The name of the town is derived from the Roman orator Marcus Tullius Cicero. The town is on the county's south border, south of Syracuse.
Tully was within the former Central New York Military Tract used to pay soldiers during the American Revolution. The surveyors were responsible for naming the areas and one of the assistant surveyors, being a classical scholar and professor at Kings College (Columbia), assigned names from Roman generals and statesmen and Greek men of letters. Tully is derived from the middle name of Marcus Tullius Cicero.
The first white settler was Andy Tucker, who built a log cabin in 1795. The first town meeting was held on April 4, 1803, when the town was formed from part of the Town of Fabius. The Town of Otisco was partially formed from part of Tully in 1806. When Cortland County was established in 1808, Tully lost its southern parts to the Towns of Preble and Scott in the new county. Then in 1811, Tully lost even more land to form the Town of Spafford.
By the development of two local resources the town has been brought during the past decade into wide and growing prominence. The first and foremost of these is the somewhat famous Tully Lake Park. The first cottage and a part of the hotel were erected on Tully Lake in 1889; other cottages and villas followed until now upwards of fifty adorn the once wild site. In 1892 the Central New York Assembly established Assembly Park on the east side of the lake, where annual sessions of an educational nature, similar to those at the celebrated Chautauqua, situated on the lake of that name, have since been held. The rare picturesqueness of the locality and its privileges bring hundreds of summer visitors each year who contribute materially to the varied interests of the town.