Truxton is a town in Cortland County, New York, United States. The population was 1,133 at the 2010 census. The town is named for Commodore Thomas Truxtun, a privateer in the American Revolution and one of the US Navy's first commanding officers.
Truxton is in the northeast part of the county, northeast of Cortland.
The region was in the Central New York Military Tract.
The first settler arrived around 1793. The town was formed from part of the town of Fabius (in Onondaga County) when Cortland County was created in 1808. An addition was made in 1811 to Truxton from the town of Solon. In 1858, part of Truxton was used to form the town of Cuyler.
In 1865, the population was 1,689.