|Name||Tranwell and High Church|
|Alt names||Tranwell||source: from redirect|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Morpeth, Northumberland, England||Castle Ward, Northumberland, England|ancient county division in which it was located|
|Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Newminster Abbey, Northumberland, England||adjoining parish which it absorbed in 1935|
|Mitford, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tranwell and High Church from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TRANWELL and HIGH CHURCH, a township in Morpeth parish, Northumberland; 2 miles SSW of Morpeth. Acres: 1,220. Population: 103. Houses: 15."
Tranwell and High Church was a township in the ancient parish of Morpeth, made up of the two villages and still illustrated as such on Google Earth. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1894 was split with High Church being absorbed into Morpeth and the remainder of the parish renamed as Tranwell (redirected here). Tranwell was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1935 another section was transferred to Morpeth, but Tranwell absorbed Newminister parish (previously Newminster Abbey) which was abolished at the same time. In 1955 the civil parish was completely abolished and the area of 1100 acres was transferred to the parish of Mitford.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Tranwell and High Church, Northumberland, England | Morpeth, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England | Mitford, Northumberland, England