- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Tranmere was a township in the ancient parish of Bebington in the Wirral hundred. Tranmere became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Clifton Park, Devonshire Park, Lower Tranmere, Mersey Park and Victoria Park. The civil parish was abolished in 1898 to become part of Birkenhead. The population was 353 in 1801, 6519 in 1851, and 37709 in 1901. By the 2001 Census, the population of Tranmere had dropped to 11,668 (but the boundaries of Tranmere may have changed).
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Tranmere, Merseyside.