NOTE: There is another place in Yorkshire named Towthorpe (near York). Until 1974 it was in the North Riding; from 1974-1996 it was in North Yorkshire; and since 1996 has been part of the unitary authority of the city of York.
Towthorpe is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, it forms part of the civil parish of Fimber. It is situated in the Yorkshire Wolds just north of the B1248 road, approximately 8 miles (13 km) north-west of Driffield and 2 miles (3 km) south-west of Sledmere.
Historically, Towthorpe was in the ecclesiastical parish of Wharram Percy in the wapentake of Buckrose. From 1894 until 1935, Towthorpe was a separate civil parish in Driffield Rural District. In 1935 it was merged into the civil parish of Fimber.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.