Place:Totteridge, Greater London, England

Watchers


NameTotteridge
TypeDistrict
Located inGreater London, England


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Totteridge is an old English village, currently a protected picturesque residential area of the London Borough of Barnet in North London, England. It is a mixture of suburban development and open land (including some farmland) situated 8.20 miles (13.05 km) north north-west of Charing Cross.

It gives its name to a ward in the borough and to the St Andrew, Totteridge ecclesiastical parish of the Diocese of St Albans.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Totteridge (parish) population
1881 657
1891 785
1901 844
1911 895
1921 801
1931 1,024
1941 war #
1951 4,500
# no census was held due to war
source: UK census

Called Tatarige in the 13th century, the settlement is probably named after someone called Tata. The ridge is the high ground between the valleys of the Dollis Brook and Folly Brook. Over the centuries the rural qualities of Totteridge have attracted well-to-do families. Cardinal Manning was born at Copped Hall in Totteridge in 1808. With the opening of Great Northern Railway station in 1872, late-Victorian and Edwardian mansions were built around the old village. In line with overall trends in the late-1930s, following the conversion of the railway station (in operation from 1872 until 1941) into an underground station (from 1940) on the Northern Line, smaller properties were built within walking distance from the station (Totteridge and Whetstone tube station). In 1968 much of Totteridge was designated a Conservation Area, and no major developments have taken place since then.

Totteridge was a civil parish of Hertfordshire covering an area of and formed part of a thin protrusion into Middlesex. It became part of Barnet Rural District and had a parish council from 1894 to 1914. It then formed part of Barnet Urban District from 1914 to 1965. In 1965, the parish and urban district were abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and the area was transferred from Hertfordshire to Greater London, to become part of the London Borough of Barnet. In 1901 the parish had a population of 844 and by 1951 it had risen to 4,500.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Totteridge. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.