|Alt names||Great Tosson||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Little Tosson||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Great Tosson and Rye Hill||source: civil parish merged in 1889|
|Tosson Little||source: civil parish merged in 1889|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Rothbury, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Newtown (near Rothbury), Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Whitton, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Alnwick District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tosson from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TOSSON (Great and Little), two townships in Rothbury parish, Northumberland; 2 and 2½ miles WSW of Rothbury. Acres: 2,760 and 518. Population: 113 and 33. Houses: 20 and 7."
The parish of Tosson was established in 1889 from the former townships and civil parishes of Great Tosson with Ryehill and Tosson Little. From 1894 until 1974 Tosson was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 Tosson was enlarged by the abolition of the adjacent parishes of Newtown (near Rothbury) and Whitton. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Tosson became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
The two former parishes have been redirected here.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Tosson, Northumberland, England | Rothbury, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England | Alnwick District, Northumberland, England