|Alt names||Newtton Cap||source: spelling variant|
|Toronto||source: colliery village in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England ( - 1937)|
|See also||Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Auckland Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1937|
|Bishop Auckland, Durham, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1937|
|Crook and Willington, Durham, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1937|
|Wear Valley District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newton Cap from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWTON-CAP, a township in Auckland, St. Andrew parish, Durham; on the river Wear, ½ a mile N W of Bishop-Auckland. Acres: 939. Real property: £2,159. Population in 1851: 280; in 1861: 404. Houses: 86. Newton Hall is the seat of W. Russell, Esq."
Newton Cap was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1937 it was abolished and split between Bishop Auckland and Crook and Willington with the latter parish receiving two-thirds of the area. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Wear Valley non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
Categories: Durham, England | Newton Cap, Durham, England | Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Auckland Rural, Durham, England | Bishop Auckland, Durham, England | Crook and Willington, Durham, England | Wear Valley District, Durham, England